Sept. 17, 2020: Return to School Update: Tomorrow is an eLearning Day! Review our Smart Start Calendar!
Since last week’s update, a number of parents have shared how surprised they were to read about the proposed addition at Gower West. Our Board of Education has been working hard to keep moving forward on this important Future Ready project despite the challenges of an extended school closure and being one of few school districts to reopen for in-person learning weeks ago.
To learn more, please visit our Campus Projects and Referendum webpage and consider joining the Gower Foundation’s Superintendent Chat later tonight at 7:00 p.m. via Zoom to hear about our efforts to date and answer any questions – RSVP here. The PTO is also hosting a fundraiser at Buona Beef from 5-10 p.m. tonight so it can very easily become an ‘all-things-Gower’ kind of night! The Foundation is planning to post a recording of tonight’s meeting on their website and has additional Chats set up for Oct. 1, Oct. 15, and Oct. 29; all ahead of the November 3rd Election where you will see Gower on the ballot!
By YOU continuing to do YOUR part, WE can keep doing OUR part!
- We have had THREE (3) known positive cases since we started school on Aug. 21st
- Our Smart Start approach to reopening school will continue as scheduled:
- There is no eLearning Friday scheduled next week (They are now alternating Fridays through Dec.)
- Gower West: 1st grade will begin their full day schedule next week, Monday, Sept. 21st
- PreK and Kindergarten will continue to follow their half-day schedule until further notice
- Gower Middle: 6th-8th grade will begin their full day schedule on Monday, Sept. 21st
- School Principals will continue their Weekly Updates to share more detailed information that is school/grade level-specific and especially useful for those transitioning to a full day schedule
- New CDC Guidance was released on Sept. 15th and is designed to help school districts make decisions about their reopening plans – The guidance affirms our Return to School Plan and Smart Start approach and should help other districts tease out the differences between ‘it’s not safe’ and ‘we’re just not quite ready’
- As stated in our July 10th, Community Update, we made a commitment to provide weekly district updates through the start of the school year. Today marks our 10th issue in this Return to School Update series
- We will return to our monthly, Community Update schedule each Thursday after our regularly scheduled Board meeting beginning next week and will share any COVID-19 notifications as needed
- Be sure to visit our Return to School webpage for reference materials related to our reopening plan
- Stay home if you are sick & be mindful of the 3W’s: Wash your hands-Wear your mask-Watch your distance
- Public health conditions and guidance may change and could cause a change to our plan
With the Gower Greeting,
Victor Simon III
Superintendent of Schools